There are a dizzying array of masks to try, across a wide range of brands and price points. Some are good. Some are great. And some are, well, crap. Oh, the Goop of it all! No shade to Gwyneth. She’s a big proponent of CBD beauty and cannabis-led wellness.
Before settling on a mask, you should ask a few important questions before you buy. You wouldn’t buy milk without checking the date. So, why would you purchase a face mask without doing a little homework first? Don’t worry, we’ll do most of the homework for you. Consider these the CliffsNotes’ of shopping for CBD skincare.
What benefits am I looking for?
Before you try a CBD face mask, figure out what you actually want it to do for you. That means getting to know your basic skin type, ideally with help from a dermatologist. It also helps to zero in on specific skin problems you’re hoping to resolve. Maybe you want to reduce redness, need something anti-inflammatory, or are just seeking deep hydration. Early research shows CBD is a strong antioxidant that can help with all three.
Once you determine what your needs are, it’ll be easier to find a mask that targets your exact skin issues. Or maybe you don’t have any skin problems – you lucky duck! – and just want to add CBD to your beauty regime. Either way, figure out what why you want to use the mask before you buy.
What type of skin mask do I want?
Since CBD face masks have surged in popularity, you’ve got plenty to choose from: sheet masks, clay masks, gel masks, creams, overnight masks, and more. You can also opt to target specific problem areas, like fine lines or undereye circles, using spot treatments and gel patches.
- Sheet: These are face-shaped pieces of fabric that are soaked in a specific serum. They are generally single-use and individually packaged. Some are even recyclable.
- Clay: These masks combine clay with other ingredients to create a mud-like texture that you can spread on your face using your fingers, a special brush or spatula. The reason clay is used is because it is known to absorb excess oil and help with dry skin.
- Gel: These combine collagen, antioxidants and cooling materials to calm, soothe and hydrate the skin. They typically come in a little pot and look like hair gel, or in a halfmoon-shaped pad that sits snuggly under your eyes. Like their clay counterparts, you can use your fingers, a spatula or a brush to apply the mask.
- Cream: These are akin to clays and gels but are, you guessed it, in the form of a cream.
- Overnight: These can be gels, clays, creams, or even sheets that you put on your skin before bedtime. Upon rising, some overnight masks will need to be washed off, while others are absorbed into the skin and require no morning maintenance.
Does it really contain CBD?
Face masks are prized because they deliver a concentrated dose of ingredients, so make sure you know what you’re getting. Even if a product has CBD in its name (or cannabis, or a picture of a hemp leaf), it might not actually contain CBD. Check the ingredients list closely. Then note where CBD falls on it, versus other components: The higher up the ingredient on the list, the greater the amount in a product.
Is it high-quality?
After determining that a face mask actually contains CBD, you want to make sure that CBD is top-quality. When possible, look for companies that source their CBD oil from specific, traceable suppliers who use high-quality raw hemp. Brand transparency can also help you check whether a product is fair trade, non-GMO, vegan, eco-friendly, gluten-free and cruelty-free. This isn’t to say you must be vegan or gluten-free yourself in order to try a CBD-infused mask. It’s more about where the ingredients come from and how they are sourced.
What else is in it?
Even after you’ve done your research and want to give a CBD face mask a go, you still need to check the other active ingredients – especially if you have sensitive skin. Watch out for potential irritants like any synthetic fragrances or heavy carrier oils. If you are allergy-prone, make sure that you’re not putting anything on your face that could cause you to react. The point of skincare is to care for your skin, not put it at risk.
Maybe she/he/they’re born with it, maybe it’s a CBD face mask. Either way, we wish you glowing skin with a hint of cannabidiol.
CBD Face Mask
CBD Hydrating Facial Mousse Mask
Naturally G4U's Be Well CBD Hydrating Facial Mousse Mask is rich, lightweight, promotes long-lasting moisture, and protects skin against environmental factors. Packed with essential fatty acids and key amino acids like omega-3 and omega-6, hemp seed oil, and cannabidiol (CBD) help balance skin while herbal adaptogens help calm and tone skin for silky, lasting hydration
HERBIVORE's Emerald Deep Moisture Glow Oil provides the skin with deep moisture using the benefits of CBD. It is suitable for all skin types, but you'll notice a bigger impact if you have dry or blemish-prone skin.