Today’s burgeoning cannabis market is inundated with new cannabis-infused “edibles”, from gourmet chocolates to soda pop and chewing gum. Beloved favorites emerged in the late 1960s such as pot cookies and weed brownies. Popularized by the 1968 film starring Peter Sellers, “I Love You, Alice B. Toklas”, pot brownies became a staple of hippie culture throughout the 1970s and beyond. The ensuing high would give rise to the nickname “space cake”, referring to those who became “spaced out” after consumption.
How To Make Cannabutter
What you will need:
- 1/2 oz cannabis (14 grams @ 15 – 20 % THC)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb unsalted butter (Vegans can substitute coconut oil.)
- Shallow cooking pot or deep saucepan
- Cooking spoon
- Sterilized 16 oz wide-mouth Mason jar
- Cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
- Baking bowl (stainless steel is ideal)
- Use a weed grinder or scissors to grind cannabis. It should be the consistency of brown sugar, not powder.
- Pour the water into the pot and begin to heat on the stovetop at medium heat.
- Add butter before the water begins to boil.
- Stir in ground cannabis and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer the mixture for 1.5 hours and stir occasionally, ensuring not to boil. 6. After 1.5 hours remove from heat.
- Place Mason jar in a baking bowl.
- Place funnel in Mason jar.
- Place cheesecloth over funnel (or hold the strainer over funnel).
- Using oven mitts, gently pour cannabutter mixture through strainer or cheesecloth, straining the butter into the jar and retaining the plant matter.
- Allow cannabutter to rest at room temperature until cool. Seal and place in the fridge.